Sunday, May 10, 2009

A New Life


I recently had the privilege of taking a day trip to Mymensingh. We hit the road soon after putting the boys on the bus for school and got there in time to stop in at the hospital to see a precious baby girl that was born to one of the producers. We wondered down many corridors, passed probably a thousand people and finally found the mother. Several days after a C-section, she was now on the floor with only a thin mat to lay on. She was quite happy to see us and we chatted a while. The baby had been taken to another floor to be put on an IV, so eventually the Grandmother took us to see her. We finally found her in a room crowded with regular sized beds, 3 infants to a bed on rather grimy mattresses, each hooked up to an IV. Parents or other caregivers and onlookers were everywhere. And when we came, even more people gathered around to see what we were there for. She was tiny - just a bit over 3 lbs. - but gorgeous. The room was sweltering and the fans were off and all the infants seemed to be blanketed. I found myself hoping that she will soon be well enough to stay with her mother.


From there we went on to the training center, where a group of 10 precious women were having a New Life celebration to mark leaving a life of shame, that they had not chosen, to be given a fresh chance at life and dignity again. Each one was presented a garland of flowers and given a rose. There were many speeches from staff and others to encourage them and some from the women as well, sharing their stories with us. It was touching, to say the least. They put on a drama for us, in which the main character acted out her story. She often broke down as she relived her pain and I was amazed at the depth of her courage and strength.


We all sang "Happy Birthday" for them and they cut their cake to further signify the birth of something new.

Words from Sara Grove's song, "I Saw What I Saw" go through my mind often when I think of these women -

I saw what I saw and I can't forget it. I heard what I heard and I can't go back. I know what I know and I can't deny it. Something on the road, cut me to the soul. Your pain has changed me, your dream inspires, your face a memory, your hope a fire, your courage asks me what I'm afraid of and what I know of love...and what I know of God.

What more can I say. Their stories, their faces, their hopes, the dignity they are finding... these things are beautiful to me and I am privileged to be a tiny part of their lives.

No comments: