Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Food, Trains and Ferrys


Here is a view from our hotel window. We walked through this fruit market a few nights ago and ate some delicious local food. Jensen wasn't too keen on the curried noodles but the other two have been pretty adventurous and Pruitt even ate, and liked, squid. We found some papaya salad today and it was soooo good. We've been eating lots of fried rice too.


We took an overnight train to an island. The boys were pretty impressed with the berths. Riley was so wound up, despite the fact that he barely made it through the long wait to board the train. He thought he had to have a top berth so we put bags around him to make sure he wouldn't fall during the night and he was on top of the world! Our Malay neighbors got a kick out of it all! Before he finally drifted off to sleep, I heard him singing to himself, "You better not shout, you better not cry, you better not scream, I'm telling you why..." The boys all slept soundly, while I kept waking up to the sound of people walking through the car and announcements being made. I was glad when it was morning and Austin brought me a cup of coffee from the train's restaurant and I sat, watching a beautiful Malaysian morning come to life. Ahh, what could be better than coffee and seeing the sun rise over palm trees and mountains. Well, you may call them hills but compared to what I am used to seeing, they were mountains!


We had a 90 minute ferry ride across to the island and the boys entertained themselves for a while before announcing that they were sea sick. It all ended well, though I had my bag ready, just in case. We were very happy to disembark and find some breakfast.

No comments: