Sunday, January 31, 2010

To Lift Up or To Push Down

 

Thousands of years ago, a group of concerned people sent a delegation to inquire of the prophets whether or not they should continue their tradition of mourning and fasting on certain months of the year. Instead of giving a clear "yes" or "no" answer, God (through one of the prophets) asked them, "Was it really for me that you were fasting? Was it not for your own sakes?" The prophet then went on the share further words that he had received, " Judge fairly, and show mercy and kindness to one another. Do not oppress widows, orphans, foreigners, and the poor. And do not scheme against each other."  (emphasis mine)

For the past couple of days I've been mulling that over in my mind, especially the part about not oppressing widows, orphans, foreigners and the poor. I looked up the word oppress in the dictionary this morning  and found that it means "to keep down by harsh and unjust treatment, to weigh heavily on." It comes from a Latin word meaning to press against.

I think that most of us, at first thought, would say that we are not doing anything to oppress the widows, the orphans, the foreigners or the poor. But sometimes I think it's more important to look at what we are  not doing than what we are doing. I can't just say that I'm not oppressing anyone, pat myself on the back and continue on my merry way. What is it that I'm not doing, that is causing someone to be pushed down? Or, to put it another way, what could I be doing that would cause a widow, orphan, foreigner or poor person to not be so pushed down?

I can think of a whole list of things. For instance, yesterday a friend bought stickers from a little boy on the street and gave them to my boys because she has a big heart. I, on the other hand, brushed him away when he tried to sell them to me. Or the beggar who I ignored because I just didn't feel like digging in my bag at the moment to find some food to share but my son really wanted to give the rest of his chocolate bar to. Or I think of a friend of  mine who is adopting a little one from Ethiopia, even though their family really cannot afford it. Or the immigrants in my home area who once told me they were shocked and hurt their first year in America, when no one invited them into their homes on the holidays.  They came from a culture that is very warm and hospitable, quite happy to take in strangers and share with them. Or some folks I just met who are helping a Burmese refuge family adapt to life in America.

I'm convinced that no matter where in the world we find ourselves, there will be widows, orphans, foreigners and poor around us. We are either lifting them up or pushing them down. There is no middle ground.

I confess I've been so tired lately, so worn out that I  have felt I couldn't care about anyone else. I'm a person who feels deeply so when I get to the point I can't feel anymore, it's a little freaky and I usually have to take some time and figure out what is going on. So I must say, it's good to feel again, even if it is feeling deeply sad, feeling regretful for not lifting up those who crossed my path. 

I came across a metaphor recently that really stuck with me. It was something about us each having our own knapsack to carry but every now and then someone has a huge boulder to carry and needs our help. I think the list of people I have been mentioning live with constant boulder to carry, a load that I could do a little something (or a big something) about. 

To lift up or to push down? It's a no-brainer. Why do I make it harder than it is?



No comments: