Sunday, November 30, 2008

Speaking Out



Sometimes we speak out to try to change the world, and other times we speak to try to keep the world from changing us. Ellie Weisel, Holocaust Survivor

The recent acts of terror in India are heavy on my heart this morning. Part of me wants to quiver in fear; if it happened "next door" it could happen here. I am also so sad for those who have had to suffer through this, both the victims and their families. Part of me is afraid that this will only fuel the fire of hatred against Muslims, will only increase the fear that many people feel. Today I am writing, not to change the world, but to keep this event and others like it, from changing me.

I just returned from a staff conference where our mixed staff of Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Buddhist met together. We learned, we laughed, we interacted with each other and it was beautiful. We talked about our uniqueness as such a diverse organization, how we are like a big family. Have we found the perfect way of doing things? Not at all! Do we always get along? No. But we are trying and that gives me hope.

What concerns me this morning is the way labels are being used. As far as I know the recent happenings in India were acts of terror, carried out by Muslims. But that does not make all Muslims terrorists. Terrorism is defined as the unlawful use of violence to frighten people or accomplish a goal. I'd like to point out that there is "terrorism" all around us, in every religion. In some places it is just covered up a bit more but that doesn't make it any less terrible to the victims. If a Christian pastor molests young children, is he not causing them to feel terror? Is he not, then, a terrorist? Does this make all Christians terrorists? What about child traffickers? What about those who visit sex workers who have been forced into the trade? The list could go on...

It is true that there are writings within Islam that condone acts of violence against those who do not share their faith. But is it not also true that "Christian" leaders have pulled out portions of Scripture to support acts of violence against others? When will we ever learn that you cannot fight violence with violence and win. No matter who you are.

I want to challenge all of us, especially myself, to live my life in such a way that even my most bitter enemy will not have reason to hate me. To treat each person, regardless of race, religion, age, gender or status, the way I would like them to treat me.

I don't like to be labeled. Do you?

No comments: