Monday, March 2, 2009

Going On...


The nation has suffered a devastating blow. Though for many of us life has returned to normal, we are surrounded by an eerie quiet, a sadness that threatens to topple the bridge we are standing on. I've been reading the paper and various blogs written by "ordinary citizens" and I have heard a lot of questions, a lot of reasons and yet everyone seems to agree that no reason could justify the brutality of the murders. The death toll is at 74, with at least 60 of them being officers. My heart breaks for the families who have lost loved ones and pray to the Almighty that they will find consolation and strength to go on.

Oh, Bangladesh. You have been beaten down again and again. You have suffered one bloodbath after another. Disasters have been around every corner. You are hungry, thirsty and tired, so tired. Yet, you do not give up. Your resilience and hope for a better tomorrow inspire me. While the injustice and poverty break my heart, and your needs overwhelm me, you have become a friend to me. It is in you that I have seen that those who have nothing can actually have everything that really matters. While the rest of the world may forget you, you will never truly be forgotten. The Almighty sees your pain. My heart cannot hold it but His can.

No comments: