Saturday, September 20, 2008

Going Crazy!


I wish I had a photo of what life is like right now, but even a photo would not do justice to the cacaphony of noise and the swelling tide of humanity. So this will have to do. You'll just have to imagine a city of 12 million, opening the floodgates to let another million in, and nearly all of them flocking to the markets to do Eid shopping or to beg from the shoppers. I have heard that during Ramadan, an extra million show up to beg, as people are supposed to be more generous to the poor during this month. Not that I've counted them, but from the little I've ventured out lately, I would say there is a definate increase. From our flat, I can hear nearly constant cries from beggars on the street, invoking the name of Allah, hoping for someone to share with them. I didn't know what to think when Riley started walking around the house chanting, "Allah, Allah". Then there are the hawkers (all of these are normal, by the way, just about twice as many as normal), walking or pedalling through the streets, calling out their wares. Vegetables, bananas, onions, Hilsha fish, big Hilsha fish, Nokshi Kanthas ( quitled bed covers), knife sharpeners, plastic containers, chickens, paper recyclers who want your paper scraps - you name it.

We were out with friends yesterday morning and wanted to grab some lunch before coming home. After sitting in traffic jams and trying to keep the rain off of us, we finally got to our desired place, only to find they were closed because of Ramadan. They wanted us to eat in their fast food section, which was next door. So we started walking in and were met with a cloud of air freshener, being liberally sprayed all over the room. I apologize to anyone reading this who likes air freshener spray, but I hate it! Since Austin shares my feelings, we turned around and walked out. So it was on down the road again to another place. While we were waiting for the food, we decided to stay at home next weekend and as much as possible in between! There is no place like home, even though someone upstairs keeps throwing garbage down and it has been landing in the tree outside of my kitchen verandah and someone from the next floor down thought it was us. Then they complained about the children being loud - I have no idea why. LOL! There is still no place like home.

No comments: